Saxony5 - the transfer network - abstract focused on recursive transfer
The main problem addressed and the aims oft he Project (introduction)
Saxony5 - (pronounced: "Saxony high five ") the transfer network
2 years ago the five Saxon universities of applied sciences (HAW), namely the
- Dresden University of Applied Sciences (HTW),
- Leipzig University of Applied Sciences (HTWK),
- Mittweida University of Applied Sciences (HSMW),
- Zittau / Görlitz University of Applied Sciences (HSZG) and
- Zwickau University of Applied Sciences (WHZ),
have decided to bundle their technology transfer activities and to share ideas, knowledge and to design of these activities in a common network.
Primary aim of the project is to achieve a dynamic stimulation cycle of innovation between the universities and their target groups in business and society.
Due to a joint transfer strategy there are the following sub-aims:
- A good visibility and ascertainability of the regionally available transfer potential of Saxony5, with its competences, processes and technologies
- The recursive dialogue of the transfer network Saxony5 with economy and society systematically facilitates access to external suggestions and participation in research, teaching and transfer
-expands its target groups and relations beside the economy and science also to public institutions and multipliers of civil society
- actively plays its role in the stimulation cycle of innovation and is a significant promoter of regional innovation systems due to its transfer competence
- applies a coordinated system of research-based transfer instruments and innovative forms of cooperation. The transfer association achieves this in addition to supraregional reach and cross-university attraction effect especially in its regional environment an intensive stimulation of innovations.
The process, i.e. the methods used and/or approach taken
after 2 years of project-run-time a first intermediate results can be given.
These results are focused on the sub projects:
- “Business cluster” and
- “Transfer by Individuals” and
- strategies und activities of the recursive transfer processes.
Recursive transfer process
The strategy for the recursive transfer of the project is strengthening recursive transfer processes with business and society
Results and impact
The main task of the Business cluster is the transfer of research results into practice.
The evaluation of the usability of the research results for the industry is a problem.
Market research expertise is needed. The range of research results is wide and very divers. There is a huge gap between industry and the high schools.
During the last two years the Business cluster did a lot of networking.
Networking into and out of the high schools.
Networking into shows, there has to be established a transfer ready infrastructure. Assistance is needed in nearly all transfer stages, because of a lack of time.
Networking outside shows: Networks that represent the industry in Saxony are inflationary. There are governmental and private ones.
Visiting a lot of
- network heads,
- network events and
- companies that wanted to be contacted
proved, that a solid contact person that links industry and high school is absolutely necessary.
To sum it up:
- The university professors are usually to busy to have enough time to react on industry questions.
- The Industry has no idea whom to speak with at a university. They are also afraid that their questions are not "high level" enough. In addition, most of all, they have no idea about the attractivity of governmental support programmes.
There has to be a “permanent” link person that connects industry, networks and university.
The recursive transfer shows that besides the connection questions the industry has another main problem. In Germany, it is the so called “Fachkräftemangel”.
It means a lack of well-educated and motivated employees.
The region of the saxony5 – project has mostly small and medium-sized businesses. Which are typically owner-managed and stated in the service-sector.
Their employees have to be all-round talents.
Most wanted are flexible engineers, with project management and good soft skills to deal with the customers.
The gap between Saxon industry and university alumni is getting bigger in every second.
The former students know about that lack of employees. They are very self-confident and want leading positions, lot of money and an attractive work life balance.
Employers cannot afford that.
"Transfer by individuals" is continuously dealing with that problem. This sub project focusses on the gap between students and industry. A trainee programme started, which industry and students very well accept.
There is also a focus on the recursive transfer.
1.) Educates Students in additional subjects such as staff management, or project management, which is frequently done by industry partners. This should show the students how industry works or what they need.
2.) Educates students in modern design thinking theories and methods and modern project management skills (agile project management), to provide them with modern backgrounds which will be trendsetting.
3.) Educate Students as links between industry and high school. For example by teaching them how to apply for a governmental support programme. Innovation Management and innovation strategies.
Conclusion (learning opportunities and potential)
To provide a reliable relationship between university and industry there has to be focused on 3 Main Points:
1.) There has to be a “permanent” link person that connects industry, networks and university
2.) This link person has to focus on recursive transfer to find out what industry really requires.
3.) Former students and future employees should be trained separately to shorten the gap between industry and university.