Industrial Ph.D.: challenges and opportunities in Europe
The poster will introduce the audience to the concept of Industrial PhD. It will describe the methodological approach to design an industrial PhD and will present its advantages, will feature how industrial research can target to specific needs of European SMEs. It will provide insights how an industrial PhD can allow SMEs and HEIs to better enhance the territorial competitiveness due to the co-creation of knowledge and innovation.
The poster will present the results and main outcomes of the Erasmus+ project named “Grasping innovation in Europe through a closer interaction between HEIs and SMEs” GIENAHS, which aims at improving collaboration between Higher Educational Institutions and Small and Medium-sized enterprises. This project scope includes co-creating and testing at European level a novel standard for designing industrial PhD paths “SMEs oriented” in order to concretely align researchers training in higher education to meet the specific needs and requirements of SMEs. The main core of Gienahs is to define an improved model of interaction HEIs/SMEs with EU relevance enouncing R&D processes in European SMEs.
The poster will present the pathway of GIENAHS project:
• sharing best practices of interaction HEIs/SMEs at EU level.
• defining a EU standard of HEIs/SMEs interaction to better enhance the territorial competitiveness due to the co-creation of knowledge and innovation.
• define a new methodological approach to design industrial PhD paths “SMEs oriented” targeted on the specific needs of European SMEs that will pragmatically allow the integration of different cultural approaches to R&D.
• testing the new methodological approach by designing a new industrial PhD path “SMEs oriented” in Manufacturing field.
• proposing the harmonisation of Industrial PhD disciplines in Europe, to concretely promote the mobility of researchers;
• setting up a stable Observatory HEIs/SMEs/INDUSTRY ASSOCIATIONS able to create virtuous and fruitful cooperation among SMEs, HEIs and researchers multiplying attractive employment opportunities for industrial research in European SMEs.
It is expected that people from industry, politics, science and academia will express their interest on the poster. It will demonstrate a new methodological approach to design industrial PhD paths “SMEs oriented” that will pragmatically allow the interaction of different approaches R&D. The workshop targets to enable virtuous cooperation among SMEs, HEIs and researchers multiplying attractive opportunities for industrial research in European SMEs. The goal is to present GIENAHS current results to interested parties, who might include the immediate exploitation in their business plans for developing its internal skills to face innovation in a more structured and systematic way.
It will demonstrate how SMEs can develop their internal skills to face innovation in a more structured and systematic way, and how HEIs can improve their capacity of interaction with SMEs so that, researchers can see also a genuine career prospect within SMEs. It will also mention legal aspects and it will show how a legislative harmonisation of EU can minimize the current legal aspects for the development of industrial PhD paths SMEs oriented.